African Cup of Nations: The Update


The Latest News from The African Cup Of Nations.

Super Eagles are ready to take on the Black Stars

Zambia-Nigeria: 0-0 (4-5)

Indomitable Lions of Cameroon are knocked out of the African Cup of Nations.

Egypt-Cameroon: 3-1

*************************************************************************************************************

Indomitable Lions beat Harambee Stars in warm-up match in Kenya: 1-3

Cameroon stretched their unbeaten run to eight games despite having gone a goal down in the 20th minute through Kenya midfielder James Situma.

Spanish-based striker Webo equalised eight minutes before halftime and then put his side in the lead 11 minutes into the second half. Two minutes later Mohammadou Idrissou grabbed a third.

Cameroon arrive in the host country Angola on Sunday and play their opening Group D match against Gabon on Wednesday

**************************************************************************************************************

Confusion still reigns following the deadly gun attack on the Togo delegation’s bus friday afternoon, with conflicting reports. The bottom line is: The Togo national team will not take part in the 2010 African Cup of Nations, said the country’s territorial administration minister.

There had been widespread reports that Obilale had died after being shot in the chest and stomach in the brutal ambush on the Togo squad as they travelled to the African Cup of Nations, bringing the death toll from the attack to four.

Two members of Togo’s national team delegation and a driver also died following that ambush on the team’s bus as it travelled to the African Cup of Nations.

Although Jonathan Ayite told the french radio RMC that ” yes, he (Obilale) is dead”, a statement from his french team GSI Pontivy, however said: ”According to news given by coach Alain Le Dour and GSI Pontivy president Philippe Le Mestre, Kodjovi Obilale is not dead, despite the news reported on the internet, radio and television, and has been moved to South Africa.”

Reflecting the uncertainty, Togo player Guillaume Brenner told RMC : “We’ve heard everything. That he is dead, that he was transported to south Africa. We don’t know exactly. But we decided to go home anyway.”

Adebayor’s club Manchester City said earlier on Saturday the striker had already returned home and Togo had withdrawn.

The attack came five months before neighbouring South Africa hosts the World Cup, the first African nation to hold the world’s biggest single sport event.

Virgilio Santos, an official with the African Cup of Nations local organising committee COCAN, said teams had been told explicitly not to travel to the tournament by road.

“We asked that all delegations inform us when they would arrive and provide the passport number of their players,” he told the sports weekly A Bola.

“Togo was the only team not to respond and did not inform COCAN it was coming by bus … The rules are clear: No team should travel by bus. I don’t know what led them to do this.”

The Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda claimed responsibility for the attack.

Tell us what should be done next



Categories: Sports

Tell us what you think. Cliquez ici et donnez votre avis

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: